The Social Committee provides opportunities for the post-doctoral community at both the Evanston and Chicago campuses with opportunities and venues to promote positive dialog and social interactions between post-doctoral fellows and to enhance their experience and connection with Northwestern University.
- Enhance the social interactions among postdoctoral fellows by providing networking opportunities and venues for the Northwestern post-doctoral community to:
- communicate and discuss issues relevant to postdoctoral fellows at Northwestern University.
- promote positive dialogue among postdoctoral fellows, faculty members, administrators and the University.
- Design and implement activities for the post-doctoral community to:
- increase the social interactions among postdoctoral fellows.
- enhance the personal development of postdoctoral fellows.
- Evaluate, organize, and effectively distribute information and resources available to Northwestern Post-Doctoral Fellows via new technologies and social media platforms
2018 Activities highlighting these goals:
- Monthly Coffee Breaks at both Evanston and Chicago campuses
- Financial Planning for Postdocs
- Annual Networking Events to promoter collaborations
- Monthly Happy Hours involving the post-doctoral communities from both Evanston and Chicago campuses
NUPF Social Committee Co-Chair
Pieter Norden – I am a postdoc in the Feinberg Cardiovascular Research Institute in the laboratory of Tsutomu Kume. I joined the social committee of NUPF in the spring of 2016, shortly after my postdoc began. I joined NUPF because I wanted to be able to reach out to the larger postdoc community at Northwestern outside of my department and serve in a position where I could give back to that community. As a social committee co-chair on the Chicago campus, I help to organize monthly events for postdocs to take a mental break from laboratory work and make long-lasting connections with one another. Over the past year we’ve been able to organize a variety of happy hour events, restaurant outings, and meet-ups at breweries, the orchestra, and other events happening downtown. I look forward to meeting new postdocs and am always open to hear exciting, new ideas for activities!